For those of you who desire to root Samsung Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge, you will need to follow a separate root method as Google has developed how rooting runs with latest Android 5.1.1. Due to Android 5.1.1 variations, you can no lasting root your S6 or S6 Edge without making it to soft-brick. But there’s a workaround, this goes backward to the days of old-fashioned Android ICS and Gingerbread where we flash a changed kernel to make root potential. It’s pathetic that the modern Android 5.1.1 makes rooting more difficult but it is still doable with a custom kernel.
This root process supports the following S6 & S6 Edge devices:
SM-G920F, SM-G920I, Korean SM-G920S/SM-G920K/SM-G920L, T-Mobile SM-G920T, Sprint SM-G920P, US Cellular SM-G920R4, Canadian SM-G920W8
SM-G925F, SM-G925I, Korean SM-G925S/SM-G925K/SM-G925L, T-Mobile SM-G925T, Sprint SM-G925P, Canadian SM-G925W8
AT&T SM-G920A and Verizon SM-G920V have secured BOOTLOADERS meaning they cannot apply this root method!!! We highly suggest changing carriers for rooting and custom ROMs.
Method To Root Galaxy S6/S6 Edge on Android 5.1.1!
1. First, go to Settings->About phone on your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge and check you have Android version 5.1.1 and make sure the model number.
2. Hit on the “Build number” about 5 times till it says you are a developer or developer mode enabled or developer mode is on.
3. Hit the back key, then you will notice a new menu named, “Developer options”, open it.
4. Get sure “OEM unlocking” is enabled. Make positive you do this action as if you don’t, you will not be able to flash custom kernel!!!
5. Power off your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge device, then press and hold Volume Down, Center Home, and Power keys collectively for about 5 seconds till you see the warning message on your phone like below.
6. Now press the Volume Up button to put your device into ODIN Download mode and attach a micro-USB cable from your S6/S6 Edge Phone to your laptop or computer.
7. Go to ours Root Kernels page and download the relevant root kernel for your device model of Galaxy S6/S6 Edge.
8. Also, download the ODIN v3.10.6 and extract the files then open the EXE file. You should see a blue box with irregular COM symbol. If you don’t see this, download and install the Latest Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge USB drivers. You should have to unplug and re-plug the micro-USB cable after installing the drivers.
9. Select “AP” and select the root kernel you downloaded in Step 7. Then press “Start”. The method should take approximately 5 seconds.
10. You should see “PASS!” and your S6 or S6 Edge will auto restart.
11. Once restarted, you should see SuperSU app in your apps.
12. You can confirm you have complete root by installing any rooted android app like Titanium Backup app.
I hope this method of How to Root Galaxy S6/S6 Edge on Android 5.1.1! works for you. if you have any problem feel free to contact us or drop a comment below.